Acetabulum Fracture Repair: A Basic Guide
A break in the socket of the ball-and-socket portion of the hip joint is called an Acetabulum Fracture. It is an uncommon occurrence as compared to the frequency of femur fractures. However, it needs to be taken seriously as it comes with grave repercussions. Majorly, acetabulum fracture occurs due to high-velocity trauma event, like a car collision. In older patients, acetabulum fractures can occur because of weak or insufficient bone strength. Even though it is more common with the elderly; it can occur irrespective of the age of the individual. All in all, such injuries can prove to be life-threatening as well. It can lead to the breakdown of cartilage surface, disabling the arthritis of the hip joint. To restore the natural anatomy of the hip and stabilize the hip socket, acetabulum fracture is treated through surgical procedures.
Time is of the essence
Acetabulum Fracture can be incredibly painful which only increases with movement. If proper acetabulum fracture repair treatment is not undertaken, it may lead to nerve damage either partially or completely. Hence, it needs to be taken care of at an early stage. The diagnosis of the fracture is done through usual X-rays and CT scans. For the treatment of the fracture, factors like the following are considered:
- Pattern of the fracture – what is the type of fracture that has been induced
- Bones displaced – what is the number of bones which have been partially or completely displaced from their natural positions
- Your other bodily functions – are the body vitals functioning normally?
The non-surgical treatments include walking aids, positioning aids and medications. However, these methods come at a much later stage of the treatment and are only followed by surgical methods. But the surgical treatments are the most common treatment procedures for repair. Most acetabular fractures are not operated on right away and you will have to undergo doctor consultation wherein you will be physically prepared for the surgery. The following are the various surgical processes that can be undertaken:
- Open Reduction and Internal Fixation: in this procedure, the displaced fragments of the bone are repositioned by attaching metal plates and screws.
- Total Hip Replacement: when the damage is beyond repair, the damaged bone and cartilage are replaced with an artificial prosthesis. This is usually a last resort solution when nothing will work. A lot of tests are done and consultation is taken before the doctors go ahead with the total hip replacement.
You will experience some pain after the surgery as a natural healing process and your doctor may prescribe pain-killers to help you deal with it. The key is to stick to the dosage given by the doctor and not overdose due to immense pain. With appropriate light bearing, physical therapy, and other physical activities and sports, you will gain a full recovery. It, however, is a slow and natural process that can take anywhere between 6 months to a year. The recovery depends on the diet you take and the progression with which you move ahead with the recovery without overstressing yourself. You can seek help from brands like PSTakecare to know more about Acetabulum Fracture Repair surgery in Bangalore. They will provide you with details of the best available treatment methods and deals that will be beneficial for you.